This easy home made custard recipe is quick to prepare and makes a healthy snack for toddlers and the whole family. With full cream milk and egg yolk, it’s packed with calcium and protein and is gluten free.
Preparation time: 2 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ vanilla bean
- 2.5 cups milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- Heat the milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan over medium heat until just below boiling point.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- In a large separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the egg yolks in a steady stream whisking the yolk mix continuously.
- Put the yolk and egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook on medium-low heat. Whisk continuously, stirring every part of the pan to make sure none sticks to the bottom.
- The custard is ready when it has thickened and will coat the back of a spoon.
- Make sure you check the ingredients on the cornflour – it should be made from 100% corn to be gluten free. Some brands use milled wheat instead and call it wheaten cornflour on the ingredients. If it is made from wheat rather than corn, then it won’t be gluten free.
- Serve when warm on its own, over cereal for breakfast or with chopped fruit.
- This is great to use as a dessert or a snack alternative to yoghurt.
- As this recipe contains sugar, if you are making custard for a baby 8 – 12 months either use the baby egg custard recipe or omit the sugar from this recipe during cooking and serve for baby with fruit puree as a sweetener.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Saturated fat||3.9 g|
|Total sugars||14.94 g|
- AusNut. Nutrient Database. 2007. [cited 27 April 2012]. Available from: URL Link