A delicious recipe for baby oatmeal with apple and cinnamon. This porridge recipe will be a favourite with baby and other members of the family.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Age recommendation: 9 months+
Makes 10 serves
- 2 red apples
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup quick oats (diced oats)
- 2½ cups regular milk/formula/expressed breast milk
- 1 cup water
- Wash, peel and grate apples.
- Place grated apples in a pot and cook with the water on medium for 5 minutes.
- Add oats, milk and cinnamon to the pot and cook on medium for a further 10 minutes with the lid on. Stir every few minutes to make sure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pot. When ready, the oats should be smooth and have absorbed the fluid.
- This is a great healthy breakfast for the whole family – for the rest of the family do not puree.
- Use ripe sweet apples rather than adding extra sweetener. The natural sweetness of the apples will intensify upon cooking.
- Apples can be replaced with:
- Berries, such as strawberries – but use half the water
- Banana – but don’t use the water and there is no need to cook the banana
- Although babies under 12 months of age should not drink cow’s milk, it is okay to add cows milk to cooking after 9 months of age.
Nutritional analysis per 100 gram serve:
|Energy||388.96 kJ / 92.96 cal|
|Total fat||3.11 g|
|Saturated fat||1.59 g|
|Total sugars||6.45 g|