The recipe for muffins is easy and quick. It makes low fat muffins which are high in fibre and packed with apple and wholesome ingredients. They will satisfy the tastes buds of even the fussiest toddlers and children.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Makes 12 serves
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¾ cup raw sugar
- 3 red apples
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup polyunsaturated vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C in a conventional oven.
- Sift flour and spices in a large bowl.
- Add oat bran and sugar and mix through.
- Wash, peel and grate the apples. Add to the flour mix.
- Whisk milk and eggs together. Then add the vegetable oil.
- Stir the milk mixture through the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into a greased muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve when warm with a smear of cream cheese.
- To increase the fibre content, use wholemeal self-raising flour instead of plain self-raising flour.
- For dairy-free muffins, the milk can be replaced with water.
- These wholesome muffins make a great breakfast on the go served with a glass of milk or a perfect lunchbox snack.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||2.08 g|
|Saturated fat||0.76 g|
|Total sugars||16.72 g|
- AusNut. Nutrient Database. 2007. [cited 27 April 2012]. Available from: URL Link