An easy recipe for cheese and bacon muffins. Whether you serve them with salad for a light meal or pop them in a lunchbox or picnic basket for a healthy snack, one thing is certain- these savoury muffins won’t last long!
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Makes 12 servings
4 rashers short-back bacon trimmed to remove all visible fat
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp powdered vegetable stock
1/3 cup of grated cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
- Preheat a fan forced 200oC- if you are using a conventional oven you may need to increase the temperature slightly.
- Dice the bacon in small pieces and cook in a non-stick pan until just cooked (no oil or fat needed).
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and powdered veggie stock. Stir with a whisk.
- Add the cheese and bacon to the flour mix.
- Whisk the milk, cream and eggs in a separate bowl.
- Fold together wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Prepare a 12-hole muffin tin by rubbing it with just enough rice bran oil to prevent the batter from sticking.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Leave the muffins in the pan to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
- These muffins can be served hot or cold.
- For a quick, healthy lunch, serve these muffins with salad on the side.
- If you don’t have vegetable stock, use salt and pepper to season the muffins.
- These are the perfect quick and easy party food for kids, make them in two, 12-hole mini-muffin tins, using a heaped teaspoon of batter in each muffin mould. Cook for 10 minutes as for the larger version.
Nutritional analysis per muffin (60 grams):
|Total fat||4.31 g|
|Saturated fat||2.33 g|
|Total sugars||1.89 g|