Baby purees are perfect for babies aged 6-7 months. This baby recipe is easy to prepare, has a sweet pumpkin taste baby will love and is packed with vegetable goodness.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Age recommendation: This soft puree is suitable for 6-7 month old babies who are beginning the transition from exclusive breast or bottle feeding to solids.
Makes 30 servings
1 butternut pumpkin (around 1 kg)
2.5 cups water
- Peel carrots and remove the ends. Slice into chunks.
- Peel potato and cut into cubes.
- Peel pumpkin with a peeler. Cut in half and use a spoon to remove seeds. Cut the halves into cubes.
- Put the water in a pan and boil. Add the vegetables and cover. Cook for 25-30 mins on medium-high heat.
- Stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Puree with a food processor or hand held wand.
- Giving babies vegetable purees when they are beginning the transition to solids is a great way to get them used to savoury vegetables tastes. And this will help them love their vegies throughout life.QLD
- If your baby is just starting solids, try making purees of the individual vegetables first to get them used to the taste before you serve them this combination puree.QLD
- Soft purees are perfect for 6-7 month old babies who are just starting solids and can’t handle lumpy food. If your baby is 8 months or older, leave a few lumps in the mixture as this will help them develop their jaw muscles better.QLD
- When feeding baby this puree, wear something old as the combination of orange vegetables can stain clothes quite badly.
- Use butternut pumpkin rather than other pumpkin varieties as it is sweeter and tastier. It is also faster and easier to prepare as it is easier to peel and softer to cut.
- Serve this as pumpkin soup to the rest of the family- all you need to do is season after you have taken out baby’s portions and serve with your favourite bread- garlic bread is a great accompaniment.
- This is a great meal or snack for baby any time of day – it makes a nutritious breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- You could give this puree as a snack with slices of toast to dipped in the puree or dip rusks in the puree.
Nutritional analysis per 50 gram serve:
|Total fat||0.21 g|
|Saturated fat||0.03 g|
|Total sugars||2.12 g|