Bacon cheese muffins are a great family treat. This recipe will help you make perfect savoury wholemeal muffins – light, fluffy and full of taste. Whether you pack them in lunchboxes or serve with salad for lunch, your family will be happy to eat these healthy muffins.
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Makes 12 servings
150g back bacon (trimmed of all visible fat)
1 small onion (80g)
4.5 slices wholemeal toast crust removed (125g)
200g cheddar cheese
1 tsp butter
Olive oil for greasing
- Preheat fan forced oven to 190C
- Trim bacon
- Finely dice onion
- Cook bacon and onion in butter on pan until cooked but not crispy.
- Whisk eggs and milk.
- Grate cheese and add to milk mix.
- Add in bacon mix.
- Put bread slices in food processor to make breadcrumbs and add to bacon mix
- Grease 12 muffin tins by rubbing a little olive oil around each with your fingers
- Divide muffin mix between them.
- Bake for about 25 mins until golden.
- This is a hit with adults for finger food and kids love them. You’d never know they were wholemeal as they are light.
- This recipe also works well with rye bread.
Nutritional analysis per muffin (70 grams):
|Total fat||9.64 g|
|Saturated fat||5.56 g|
|Total sugars||1.48 g|