An easy baby food recipe for healthy rusks. Perfect for babies who are teething or wanting to feed themselves.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour + cooling time Difficulty rating: Easy
Age recommendation: Baby rusks are a great finger good for babies from 8 months of age
- 1 loaf of wholemeal bread
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Cut the crust off the loaf.
- Slice the loaf into 2 cm fingers – cut first into slices with a serrated knife and then into fingers.
- Lay the bread fingers out on a baking tray – the fingers should not be overlapping.
- Place in the oven for at least an hour until bread fingers come out as hard rusks.
- Cool rusks and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Dip rusks in fruit or vegetable purees and give to baby to chew on.
- If your baby is closer to 12 months, place a couple of different flavoured purees in brightly coloured plastic bowls and show your baby how to dip the rusk in a small amount of puree and eat it. This will help to develop your baby’s hand-eye coordination and will also be an activity they are sure to enjoy, especially if you engage in the activity with them.
- Take a couple of rusks in a small container when you go out as some healthy baby fast food.
- Contribute rusks to your next parents group for the babies to eat – they’re sure to be a hit.
Nutritional analysis per 25 gram serve:
|Total fat||0.56 g|
|Saturated fat||0.07 g|
|Total sugars||0.89 g|