Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: No cooking
Difficulty rating: Easy
Age recommendation: 6 months and above
Makes 21 servings (based on a 20 gram serve).
- 250g almonds (natural)
- 150 g cashews (roasted, unsalted)
- 20 g rice bran oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch sugar
- Place nuts in food processor until they are a fine meal consistency and the natural oils in the nuts makes a paste-like consistency.
- Add salt, sugar and rice bran oil and mix again to achieve a smooth paste consistency.
- Place in a clean jar. The nut butter is safe to store in the fridge for several weeks.
- Some children are allergic to nuts like cashews and almonds (as well as peanuts). Children with peanut allergy are more likely to be allergic to other nuts.MCH However there is no reason to delay giving babies with a family history of allergy foods like nuts- evidence now shows that it does not reduce the risk of them developing allergies.NHMRC
- You can substitute rice bran oil for an oil of your choosing, but choose a low flavour one such as grapeseed oil, or better still use a nut oil like Macadamia oil. Add extra oil for increased smoothness to suit your liking.
- This makes great fast food for babies and is a good way of getting them to eat healthy nuts, just make sure it is very smooth. Place on a toasted stick of bread and let them hold and eat it. However, babies should not eat foods with added sugar and saltNHMRC– leave these ingredients out if you are making the butter for a baby.
- Serve to kids with chopped vegetables as an after school snack.
- Use this instead of butter in sandwiches.
Nutritional content per serve (30 grams):
|Total fat||11.14 g|
|Saturated fat||1.27 g|
|Total sugars||0.98 g|
- Nutrient Database. 2007. [cited 27 April 2012]. Available from: [URL Link]
- Women’s and Children’s Health Network. Reactions to food. 2015. (cited 3 April 2016). Available from: [URL Link]
- National Health and Medical Research Council. Eat for Health- Infant Feeding Guidelines- Information for Health Workers. 2012. (cited 10 April 2016). Available from: [PDF File]