Recipe for healthy banana smoothies that make a great calcium rich drink or snack for kids.
Number of servings: Makes 2 kids serves or 1 adult serve
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: None
Difficulty rating: Easy
Toddlers and older children. To make this recipe suitable for babies 9 months and older leave out the milk and just use the banana and yoghurt.
- 1 banana
- 150ml milk
- 3 tbsp plain yoghurt (Greek is better)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and whizz until they are combined.
- Serve immediately.
- This makes a great breakfast on the run – pop into a smoothie container with a straw and serve with a healthy muffin, like these apple bran muffins.
- Turn this banana smoothie into a healthy chocolate milkshake for dessert by adding 2tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (~3.5g)
- You can use a variety of fruits including berries and mango, to make different flavoured smoothies.
- Don’t use over-ripe bananas, the flavour will be too strong. Save over-ripe bananas for making cake.
Nutritional content per child sized serving:
|Total fat||3.93 g|
|Saturated fat||2.48 g|
|Total sugars||11.75 g|
- AusNut. Nutrient Database. 2007. [cited 27 April 2012]. Available from: (URL link)
- Queensland Health. Introduction to Solids. 2008. [cited 8 December]. Available from: (URL link)