This recipe for honey and soy marinated chicken is nutritious and easy to prepare. Whether you serve it with rice or as a lunchbox snack, your children are bound to love it!
Preparation time: 10 minutes + marination time Cooking time: 40 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Makes 12 servings
- 1.5kg skinless chicken drumsticks (about 12 drumsticks)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 bunch choy sum (or other Asian greens)
- Peel and finely grate ginger.
- Peel and crush garlic.
- Combine ginger, garlic, honey, soy sauce and sesame seeds.
- Score the chicken drumsticks all over.
- Cover the chicken with the sauce and marinate in the fridge overnight (or at least for 1 hour).
- Once the chicken has finished marinating, preheat oven to 200C.
- Place drumsticks in a baking tray and place in oven for 40 minutes, turning the drumsticks over at the 20 minute mark.
- Slice and wash the Asian greens and place in a hot wok with the leftover marinade from the chicken until the sauce has bubbled (this is important to make sure the chicken juices which mixed into the marinade are properly cooked).
- Serve with steamed rice.
- Wrap the bottom of the drumsticks in aluminium foil so that they can be eaten cold out of lunchboxes the next day.
Nutritional analysis per giant cookie serve:
|Total fat||6.59 g|
|Saturated fat||1.95 g|
|Total sugars||6.35 g|
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand. AusNut- Nutrient Database- Nutrient File. 2007. [cited 27 April 2012]. Available from: URL Link
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand. AusNut- Nutrient Database- Measures File. 2007. [cited 27 April 2012]. Available from: URL Link