This biscuit recipe makes delicious coconut macaroons that are gluten free and dairy free. There also great fun to cook with kids.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes Cooking time: 10-15 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Makes 16 desert spoon sized macaroons
- 1 tsp coconut essence
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1.5c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 60g white sugar added spoon at a time (just over ¼ cup)
- Pinch salt
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 170oC.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites being careful not to get any yolk mixed into the white. (You can use the egg yolks to make custard or French toast).
- Whisk until slightly frothy.
- Add in cream of tartar, salt and coconut essence.
- Then whisk until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar 1 tsp at a time, whisking between each spoon.
- The egg white mixture will become glossy in colour.
- Add coconut and gently fold into egg white mix.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spoon the mixture onto the tray.
- Cook macaroons for 10-15 mins at 170oC. They will turn from glossy white to a slightly golden colour.
- Cool before storing in an airtight container.
- Be careful to check the shredded coconut before you buy it, some brands add sugar to it without putting it on the front of the packet. Check the list of ingredients.
- This recipe is already not very sweet, but if you are making for very young children you may wish to cut the sugar down further to 40-50g.
- Make this recipe with children, they will love seeing the magic of the eggs transform from a small liquid to big white fluff!
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||4.60 g|
|Saturated fat||3.68 g|
|Total sugars||4.23 g|