Apple coleslaw is a great alternative to Waldorf salad. This low cholesterol coleslaw recipe is quick and easy to prepare and a perfect salad for summer barbeques. Kids will love the sweet taste.
Preparation time: 15 minutes with a food processor Cooking time: None Difficulty rating: Easy
Makes 15 servings
½ medium white cabbage (about 1kg)
2 large carrots
2 celery sticks
2 spring onions
3 red apples
100g pecans (optional)
150g low fat mayonnaise
4 tbsp 98% fat free buttermilk
3 tbsp maple syrup
- Finely shred the cabbage discarding the hard core.
- Finely slice the celery and spring onions.
- Peel and grate carrots and apples.
- Reserve about 10 pecans to one side and roughly chop the rest.
- Mix together all vegetables and the pecans (except for the 10 pecans you kept to one side).
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk and maple syrup. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the vegetables and mix well.
- Put the coleslaw in a serving bowl and place reserved pecans on top as a decoration.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use a mixture of 50% plain yoghurt to 50% milk instead.
- This is a great summer salad that kids will love- serve it as a side dish at your family BBQ.
- You can also add in a cup of grated cheese if you have extra-fussy veggie critics at home!
Nutritional information per 150g serving:
|Total fat||7.15 g|
|Saturated fat||0.60 g|
|Total sugars||10.83 g|