When a fruit or vegetable is in season, it means that at that time of year it is at its peak, in terms of flavour or harvest. Eating seasonally is a healthier, more economic and environmentally friendly way of getting your daily 2 fruits and 5 vegetables that is often overlooked. ‘2 and 5’ is a campaign introduced by the government’s Department of Health and Ageing to encourage healthy eating in Australians.
There are a number of benefits that come from eating seasonally, including the health benefits that come from eating fresh, local fruit and vegetables, helping to support your local farmers and producers, avoiding excess damage to the environment and saving a dollar or two in the process. Find out more about these benefits of eating seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Find out more about which fruits and vegetables to keep your eye out for this summer.
Find out which fresh and local vegetables will be great in your soups this winter.
Learn which fruit and vegetables to buy from your local producer this Autumn.
Discover which fresh fruits and vegetables you should be buying this Spring.
- Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, ‘Department of Health and Ageing Campaign Information’, (online) Go for 2 and 5, 2007. (Cited 28 October 12). Available from: Url Link
- Grace Communications Foundation, ‘Eat Seasonal’, (online) Sustainable Table, 2012. (Cited 17 October 12). Available from: Url Link
- Deakin University, ‘Food processing and nutrition’, (online), Better Health Channel, 2012, (cited 30 October 12), Available from: Url Link
- ‘Eat Seasonal’, Sustainable Table, 2012. (Cited 17 October 12). Available from: Url Link
- MacMillan, T & Fredenburgh J, ‘What should supermarkets do about seasonal food?’ (online)Food Ethics Council, November 2009, (cited 27 October 12), Available from: Url Link
- Locke, E, Coronado, G, Thompson, B & Kuniyuki, A, ‘Seasonal variation in fruit and vegetable consumption in a rural agricultural community’, (online) Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 45- 51, January 2008, (Cited 16 October 12). Available from: Url Link