The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is publishing a voluntary recall of the 15,000 ‘Inside Out’ illuminated cups that were sold as part of a promotion. The products were sold at Event Cinemas in NSW, QLD, SA, WA, ACT and NT between 17 June 2015 and 12 July 2015.
The ACCC considers the product could be unsafe as the button batteries in the lid of the cup may be released because the cover can be opened manually. The button batteries may also be released if the battery cover is not properly in place or if the lid is dropped.
‘Inside out’ promotional cup sold at Event Cinemas Underside of the lid showing the battery compartment
Button battery compared with a 5 cent coin
“The ACCC is urging parents and carers to immediately stop using the cup, wrap the lid up and dispose of it in a bin that children cannot access,” ACCC Commissioner Sarah Court said.
“The ACCC is concerned whenever children might swallow any type of button battery. If a toddler or young child swallows a button battery, some types can burn through their oesophagus in just a couple of hours causing serious injury or death.”
“If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately go to a hospital emergency room,” Ms Court said.
Event Cinema asks customers to please dispose of the flashing light lid immediately and retain the cup for return to the location it was purchased. They will post remedy options online, in media notices or at the purchase location.
Event Cinemas and the importer have cooperated fully with the ACCC and moved quickly to voluntarily recall the product.
“The Australian Consumer Law makes suppliers legally responsible for the quality and safety of the goods they sell and companies are expected to be diligent in ensuring safety,” Ms Court said.
A list of Event Cinemas is available at http://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Cinema.
Further information on the recall is available at www.recalls.gov.au.
Button battery safety
- Keep all button batteries and devices out of sight and out of reach.
- Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure.
- Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.
- If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink and do not induce vomiting.
- Call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 for additional treatment information.
- Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries and how to keep their children safe.
- Report any suspected unsafe product to either the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission or your local (state/territory based) product safety regulator.