This recipe for sweet potato mash is the perfect sweet treat for babies aged 6-12 months of age, but your older children are bound to love it too.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Age recommendation: With cream cheese and garlic, sweet potato mash is perfect for babies aged 9-12 months. For younger babies (aged 6-8 months) omit the cream cheese and garlic.
Makes 12 serves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 kg sweet potatoes
- 1 L water
- 2 tbs cream cheese
- 1 tsp oil
- Peel and mince garlic.
- In a large pot, sautee garlic in a little butter or oil for 30 seconds – do not let it brown.
- Wash, peel and dice sweet potatoes.
- Boil water in a kettle.
- Add potatoes and water to pot and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 30 minutes on medium heat or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a wand or masher, mash potatoes until smooth.
- While the mixture is hot, stir in the cream cheese and it will melt through.
- Omit the garlic if you are trying your baby on solid foods for the first few times.
- Babies aged 9-12 months are old enough to start eating dairy products like cream cheese included in this recipe.
- Omit the cream cheese for a dairy free option.
- This is a healthy, naturally sweet meal babies will love any time of the day.
- Serve to toddlers and bigger kids as a side veggie dish.
- If making this dish for adults, use 1 L of stock rather than plain water and season with salt and pepper.
Nutritional analysis per 90 gram serve:
|Total fat||1.85 g|
|Saturated fat||0.91 g|
|Total sugars||11.94 g|