Cook perfect rice every time using this simple rice recipe. You can add additional herbs and spices to make the rice complement your main meal.
Preparation time: 2 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bring 2 cups of vegetable stock to the boil in a pan.
- Turn the stove to low and place pan on a small cooker. (If it is left on a high heat the fluid will disappear before the rice is fully cooked).
- Add the rice and the oil, then stir.
- Place the lid on the pan and leave to cook on low until all the fluid is absorbed. Stir once or twice while cooking.
- You can replace the stock with plain water if you are making this recipe for babies.
- If you are cooking the rice to supplement a curry, add ½ tsp of turmeric at the same time as you add the oil. Add other herbs or spices to the rice in a similar way, to complement the type of dish you are cooking.
- If you are cooking for someone who is gluten intolerant, use homemade stock or check the label of commercial stock carefully, to ensure there is no hidden gluten.
- When making this rice recipe for vegans, use homemade stock or check the product label carefully to ensure the brand you choose doesn’t contain animal products.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||4.11 g|
|Saturated fat||0.71 g|
|Total sugars||0.45 g|
- AusNut. Nutrient Database. 2007. [cited 27 April 2012]. Available from: URL Link