Burghul or bulgur wheat (also called bulgar wheat or cracked wheat) is a healthy meal base, perfect for serving with meat and vegetable sauces. This healthy recipe for kids and adults will help you make perfect burghul in just a few easy steps.
Preparation time: 2 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Age Recommendation: This recipe is great for children and can be modified for babies aged 9-12 months.
Makes 4 servings
1 cup Bulgar wheat
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Boil 2 cups of vegetable stock in a saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low- if the temperature is too high the fluid will evaporate before the wheat is fully cooked.
- Add the bulgar wheat, olive oil and stir.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid to reduce evaporation and cook over a low heat until the fluid is fully absorbed.
- Stir 1-2 times during cooking.
- If you are cooking this recipe for a baby, use water instead of vegetable stock.
- You could add some spices to the Bulgar wheat for a more exotic base to your meal. If you want to add spice, do this when you add the olive oil.
- Commercial vegetable stock may also contain animal products- check the label or make the stock yourself if you are preparing this recipe for a vegetarian or vegan.
Nutritional analysis per serve (150 grams):
|Total fat||5.78 g|
|Saturated fat||0.85 g|
|Total sugars||0.78 g|
Date Created: August 20, 2013 Date Modified: September 16, 2013