This recipe is so simple and it’s a really wonderful treat to make with your little one. They can help shape the balls and roll on the coconut. The end result is a sweet and chewy globe of delight perfect for kids and parents alike. Send them in school lunches, enjoy as a snack or as dessert.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: None Difficulty rating: Easy
Makes around 8 medium sized balls
1 cup dates
1/4 cup coconut (plus extra for rolling)
1/3 cup blanched almonds (slivers or whole)
3 tablespoons water
- Toss the pitted dates in a food processor with the almonds and coconut.
- Mix on medium to high until everything is finely chopped.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix again, adding another splash if the mix seems too dry.
- Roll into little spheres and then roll in coconut.
- Eat as is or put them in the fridge to get that extra chewy consistancy.
- Roll smaller for little mouths.
- You can add anything to these tasty treats – like cocoa, cherries, seeds, cinnamon or other nuts. If you’re making them for kiddies, keep them simple, but if you’re making them for adults, you can be a bit more adventurous.
- It might seem like a no-brainer, but make sure your dates are pitted or else they’ll be unsafe to eat.
- Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge and they should stay nice and fresh for about a week.
Nutritional analysis per date ball (30 grams):
|Total fat||5.56 g|
|Saturated fat||1.56 g|
|Total sugars||14.44 g|