The Queensland Museum offers an educational and entertaining day out for families. With exhibits and events year round to appeal to all interests from dinosaurs to sea creatures, Australian history and aerodynamics. The Queensland Museum is perfect for visitors’ young and old alike.
The museum is also home to the Sciencentre and is only a short walk from other great Brisbane attractions such as the Queensland Art Gallery, the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA), the Queensland Performing Arts Centre and South Bank Parklands.
The Queensland Museum offers a range of exhibits and activities that can change throughout the year, depending on special events and seasonal exhibitions.
A core collection of exhibits are on display at the Queensland Museum all year-round, which include:
- Discover Queensland – Capturing the true story of Queensland, this exhibition displays photos, objects and stories that reflect the state’s culture, geography and history.
- Discovery Centre – This highly interactive space makes available thousands of fossils, animals and other objects to explore. Staff are on hand to answer your questions and explain more about the behind-the-scenes research involved at the museum.
- Energex Playasaurus Place – Learn more about energy—from food energy to that required to power our homes—and wander the space dominated by life-size dinosaurs from the past.
- Lost Creatures – Explore the inside and outside of our dinosaurs and mega-fauna in amazing 3D touchscreen representations, compare your height to these creatures of the past and be amazed by the life-size Rhoetosaurus hind leg that stands over 2 metres high!
- Inventory – Open primarily in school holidays, this interactive space features additional learning experiences to explore in conjunction with the various exhibits on display throughout the year.
- Coral Coast – Find out more about Queensland’s Great Barrier Reef and the incredible marine eco-systems that call this area home.
- Body Zone – Featuring 4 themes—Body Works, Body Challenge, Sense Ability and Mind Benders—this area encourages visitors to explore the workings of their own bodies with a variety of activities.
- Action Station – Discover what makes things tick in this hands-on science station.
- Dandiiri Maiwar – At this Cultures Centre you can learn more about Queensland’s Aboriginal Peoples and Torres Strait Islanders and their culture from past to present.
- Sciencentre (admission fees apply) – Featuring dozens of interactive science activities for all ages, the Sciencentre also hosts short-term exhibitions that are always fun and educational.
Click on the images to enlarge:
Enough to do for a full day trip.
The Queensland Museum is designed to cater for all accessibility needs, with parking spaces designated for people with a disability on the lower level of the car park, and lifts from the car park up to the Level 2 main entrance. There are also lifts throughout the museum connecting to different levels, including a lift connecting to the Collectors Café.
All entrances to the museum are wheelchair assessable. The Queensland Museum also offers a free wheelchair loan service within its building (subject to availability). Wheelchairs are available from Visitor Services on Level 2. Spaces for wheelchairs and pram parking are allocated at each event and activity, including museum lectures, workshops and shows.
- The Queensland Museum shop
- The Collectors Café
- Public pay phones
- Seating throughout
- Toilet facilities with wheelchair access
- Free wireless internet service throughout the building
General admission to Queensland Museum is free for all visitors.
Admission fees do apply to the Sciencentre and some special events and exhibitions within the Queensland Museum.
Entry charges for the Sciencentre are as follows:
- Adult: $14.50
- Concession: $12.50
- Child (3-5): $11.50
- Family (2 adults/2 concessions & up to 4 children): $44.50
- Schools and Groups: $9 pre-booked per person.
The Queensland Museum is open every day of the year, from 9.30am – 5.00pm (excluding Good Friday, Christmas Day & Boxing Day). It is open limited hours on ANZAC Day, from 1.30 pm.
Phone: +61 (0)7 3840 755
Fax: +61 (0)7 3846 1918
Mail: PO Box 3300, South Brisbane BC, Queensland 4101
For more information on child friendly events and things to do in Brisbane – visit http://www.brisbanekids.com.au/Date Created: April 15, 2015