Fremantle Prison is the largest convict built structure in Western Australia and the most intact convict establishment in the nation. Decommissioned as a maximum-security gaol in 1991, the Prison was continuously used as a place of incarceration for almost 140 years. With death row, solitary cells and gallows, it is a monument to a system of punishment that is uncomfortably recent.
- A range of tours are available:
- Doing Time Tours – departing every 30 minutes between 10.00am and 5.00pm daily
- Great Escapes Tours – departing every hour between 11.45am and 4.45pm daily
- Tunnels Tours – departing regularly from 9.00am. Bookings and pre-payment essential
- Torchlight Tours – departing regularly Wednesday and Friday evenings. Bookings and pre-payment essential
- Various exhibitions are shown in the Prison Gallery
- Function venues available for hire
- The Convict Cafe provides light refreshments before and after tours
- Gift Shop
At least half a day
- There is a paid car park located directly outside Fremantle Prison
- In recognition of the fact that sections of each tour are not accessible by wheelchair, a discounted ticket fee (child rate) is offered.
- Exclusive tours for groups including people with disabilities are customised to ensure access for all on the tour.
- Not all areas are accessible with a pram
- People with hearing difficulties have free access to English audio guides.
- Disabled toilets
- Baby change
- First aid station
- Café – Open 10.00am to 5.00pm every day, later on Wednesday and Fridays. The menu includes toasted flat breads, sandwiches, salads, beef/chicken/vege/fish burgers, fish and chips, quiche etc the menu is available online
Entry to the Gatehouse is free of charge and includes: the Prison Gallery, an interactive Visitor Centre, Convict Café, and gift shop.
( 4 to 15**)
(2 ads, 3 ch)
|Prison Day Tour|
Doing Time OR Great Escapes
|Prison Day Tour Package|
Doing Time AND Great Escapes
|All Tour Pass|
includes all four tours
** Children must be over the age of 12 to participate in the Tunnels Tour
Open 9.00am to 5.00pm every day except Wednesday and Friday open until 9.00pm.
1 The Terrace
Western Australia, 6160
Phone: (08) 9336 9200