The Western Australian Museum is a museum comprising of six sites that are in the cities of Perth, Fremantle (Maritime & Shipwreck Galleries), Albany, Geraldton and Kalgoorlie-Boulder. This article focuses on the Perth Branch.
Viewing a variety of temporary and long term exhibitions including:
- Dinosaurs that once inhabited WA and prehistoric Earth
- The animals that currently and previously inhabited WA
- Butterfly gallery
- Bird gallery
- The plants of WA
- Rocks, minerals and meteorites
- The Old Gaol
- Stories and culture of local Aboriginal people
- Finding out more about how Western Australia came to be what it is today
- A range of educational programs for all ages including a Discovery Centre for young children with live reptiles, educational resources, puzzles and hands-on activities.
- Outdoor music exploration area and activity trails (with climbing, balancing and other physical dexterity activities)
- Self-guided tours.
Click on the images to enlarge:
Enough to do for a half-day trip.
The Western Australian Museum is currently undergoing public consultation in regards to its Disability Access and Inclusion Plan to ensure people with disabilities can access and experience the museum’s activities and facilities.
Manual wheelchairs can be provided free of charge at the museum and can be organised prior the visit to check availability on 9427 2877. ACROD parking is also available in the Perth Cultural Centre car parks.
Prams are also permitted.
- Grassed area with benches at the back of the museum suitable for picnics
- Parents room
- Lifts enable access to all levels of the Museum
- Disabled access toilets
- Museum Shop
Entry to the Western Australian Museum is free; however the suggested donation is $5.
The Western Australian Museum is open from 9.30am to 5.00pm, 7 days a week.
ANZAC Day (25th April) open from 1:00pm to 5:00pm.
The museum is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day and Good Friday.
Check the website or call for further information.
Western Australian Museum — Perth,
Perth Cultural Centre,
Perth, Western Australia, 6000
(+618) 9212 3700
Contact us to update information on this page.Date Created: September 10, 2012 Date Modified: August 24, 2014