This is a recipe for ratatouille which kids and adults will love. Suitable for vegans and vegetarians, this low cholesterol, high fibre dish is the perfect healthy recipe for a cold day. Containing loads of vegetables, it’s also packed with vitamins and minerals.
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 60 minutes Difficulty rating: Easy
Age Recommendation: Mash this ratatouille for babies 8 months and older.
Makes 10 servings
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup salt for soaking
½ kg red capsicum
2 large zucchini
2 tins red kidney beans
1 cup vegetable stock
½ tsp smoked paprika
- Peel and slice the eggplant.
- Put the salt in a plate and pat both sides of each eggplant slice with the salt (like you would for flouring) and put in a bowl.
- Leave it to soak for 30 mins.
- Wash the salt off the eggplant – this process removes bitterness – discard the brown water which comes out of eggplant.
- Cook garlic in the oil until fragrant.
- Add the eggplant and cook it on medium for 5 mins.
- Add vegetable stock.
- Wash, de-seed and cut the capsicum into small chunks. Add it to the pan.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes in half – remove the stalk centre (the brown hard bit, by two diagonal cuts)
- Dice the tomatoes and add to the pan.
- Drain, rinse and add the kidney beans to the pan.
- Cook for 40 mins without the lid, on medium, bubbling until the tomatoes have made a rich sauce and eggplant is well cooked, stirring every so often so it does not stick.
- Peel and cut the zucchini into largish chunks, add to the pan and cook for a further 10 mins or until tender – do not overcook the zucchini – they will disintegrate.
- Perfect served on its own as a hearty breakfast or a light meal or as a main meal with cracked wheat (bulgar), couscous, quinoa or rice.
- If you are serving this recipe for a person who is gluten intolerant, use homemade stock or check the product label for a gluten free brand.
Nutritional analysis per serve (450 grams):
|Total fat||3.09 g|
|Saturated fat||0.40 g|
|Total sugars||10.52 g|
Date Created: May 15, 2013 Date Modified: October 16, 2013